Community

DMCA Welcomes Restoration of Belham Valley Bridge

The Disaster Management Coordination Agency (DMCA) has welcomed the unearthing of the Belham Valley Bridge. That’s according to DMCA Senior Disaster Management Coordinator, Astrid Wade. Mr. Wade said the Belham Valley Bridge project improves emergency access to Isle Bay Hill and other areas south of the Belham Valley, particularly during periods of heavy rainfall. The project was a collaborative effort between the Public Works Department, the Disaster Management Coordination Agency (DMCA) and the private sector. Waterway and roadway work in the Belham Valley have resulted in the bridge being unearthed and accessible for vehicular traffic during heavy rainfall. Roadways, culverts, and drainage infrastructure along Happy Hill, Dr Wood’s, and Isles Bay Hill Main Roads have also been unearthed, with guttering and culverts cleaned and restored to improve water flow. The main water channels in the Belham Valley have also been excavated in preparation for rainfall, which should reduce impassibility caused by lahars. The Belham Valley Bridge had been buried for over 20 years due to repeated lahar activity. Its restoration now provides permanent access to and from the northern side of the island, especially during extreme weather events, significantly improving safety for residents of Isle Bay Hill, Woodsville, Corkhill, Weekes, Richmond Hill, Fox’s Bay, and Delvin’s, as well as tour operators, sand miners, farmers, and livestock owners.

DMCA Welcomes Restoration of Belham Valley Bridge Read More »

Government of Montserrat Moves to Address Long-Term Population Loss

The Government of Montserrat is working on a policy to reverse the decline in the island’s population. Montserrat lost roughly 60 per cent of its population since 1995 when volcanic eruptions devastated the island. Most of the population migrated to the United Kingdom for what they hoped was a temporary settlement. However 30 years on, very few have returned, and the migration trend continues with mainly young adults seeking education and job opportunities elsewhere. The issue has come to the forefront with a proposal to increase the qualification time for residents. Appearing on the “What’s On Your Mind” radio programme on Thursday, Minister for Agriculture Hon. John Patrick Osborne hinted that this is part of a broader policy to grow the population.

Government of Montserrat Moves to Address Long-Term Population Loss Read More »

Government of Montserrat Advances New Measures to Strengthen Child Safeguarding

The Government of Montserrat is advancing a series of measures aimed at strengthening child safeguarding and reducing vulnerabilities among students here. Minister for Health and Social Services, Dr. the Honourable Ingrid Buffonge made the important announcement during Meeting No. 14 of the 18th Parliament on Tuesday. She outlined initiatives focused on student welfare, safety and support, particularly within the education system. The education minister said a breakfast programme is set to be introduced at the Montserrat Secondary School- MSS, to address food insecurity among students. She explained that the programme will provide students with a healthy breakfast to support their well-being and learning. Dr Buffonge stressed that the government and the Ministry of Education are adopting a firm, zero-tolerance approach to child safeguarding. Addressing after-school safety concerns, Dr Buffonge noted that the government is currently seeking funding for structured after-school programmes to ensure students are kept safe and engaged during these hours. The minister further revealed that additional funding will be requested at the upcoming Budget Support Mission for another Safe Summer Programme.

Government of Montserrat Advances New Measures to Strengthen Child Safeguarding Read More »

MOU Signed to Expand Tertiary Education Opportunities for Montserratians

A memorandum of understanding has been signed between the Government of Montserrat and Monroe University as part of efforts to strengthen the local workforce and support local students transitioning into tertiary education. The announcement was made by Minister of Education, Dr, the Honourable Ingrid Buffonge, during the 18th Parliament, Tuesday, where she outlined the agreement as a key component of the United Alliance administration’s strategy to build human capital and grow the economy on Montserrat. Dr Buffonge said the memorandum establishes a partnership with the New York–based Monroe University, which also operates a campus in St. Lucia, and includes scholarship opportunities for Montserratian students. She noted that a virtual meeting is scheduled for March to finalise plans ahead of the university’s first official visit to Montserrat. According to the minister, the partnership aligns with the ministry’s strategic objective of improving the transition from secondary to tertiary education, an area she described as critical for student success and workforce development. In addition to the Monroe University agreement, the minister said the government has sought support from the Montserrat UK Office to assist students preparing for post-secondary education, including connecting current MSS students with Montserratians who have successfully completed tertiary studies, either through in-person engagement or virtual mentorship. She added that the Montserrat UK Office has committed to providing mentorship support, and that assistance has also been requested from Chevening alumni to further strengthen guidance for students pursuing higher education.

MOU Signed to Expand Tertiary Education Opportunities for Montserratians Read More »

Government Details Next Phase of Construction for Montserrat’s New Port

Minister for Buildings, Utilities, Infrastructure, Labour, Transport and Energy (B.U.I.L.T.E), Honourable Veronica Dorsette Hector has provided an update on one of government’s most significant and complex infrastructure investments……… the new port development project. Speaking in Parliament Tuesday morning, Mrs Dorsette Hector spoke of unfortunate delays and the deliberate efforts being undertaken by government to ensure the completion of the project. She also explained some of the ongoing works as the new port project enters a critical phase of construction.   Mrs Dorsette Hector further highlighted what she refers to as “the normal and necessary aspects of managing any infrastructure of this scale and complexity.”

Government Details Next Phase of Construction for Montserrat’s New Port Read More »

Minister of BUILT Calls for Continued Excellence at Montserrat Utilities Limited

The Minister for Buildings, Utilities, Infrastructure, Labour, Transport, has underscored the critical role of the Montserrat Utilities Limited- MUL in the island’s long-term development. Honourable Veronica Dorsette-Hector was speaking at the organization’s recent biennial dinner and award ceremony, where six employees were recognized for their dedication and service to the MUL. The minister called on staff, especially new team members, to remain committed to delivering safe, affordable and reliable energy and water services as part of a wider vision for a green, connected and thriving Montserrat.

Minister of BUILT Calls for Continued Excellence at Montserrat Utilities Limited Read More »

Mobile Clinic Screens 84 People for HIV on World AIDS Day

84 persons got tested for HIV through the Ministry of Health’s Mobile Clinic on World AIDS Day last week. This was reported by Community Nursing Manager, Nurse Alex Ackie on the Talking Health Radio Programme. On December 1st, the mobile clinic went to three locations on Montserrat to provide safe and confidential HIV testing to the public. Nurse Ackie shared details about the day, highlighting the large amount of men that got tested.

Mobile Clinic Screens 84 People for HIV on World AIDS Day Read More »

UK–Montserrat Compact Discussions Pending, Public Input Promised

Premier the Honourable Reuben T. Meade says there has been no firm commitment on the commencement of discussions on a compact with the British Government. Speaking in Parliament this week he stated that, as with the White Paper, this document will be made public once they’ve started the process.  Discussions on the compact started at the recently concluded Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) in London. The Premier said he was unaware of what the proposal would be, but once this is forthcoming from the UK, there will be public discussions and consultations on such a compact.  The UK and the Territories agreed at the JMC to develop Partnership Compacts between the UK and any Territory that wishes to. Partnership Compacts are intended to provide tailored, practical frameworks for advancing shared priorities, and to signal a renewed commitment to partnership.  The Territories noted the development of a UK Government Charter on Engagement with the Overseas Territories which seeks to reinvigorate and strengthen how the UK Government engages with the Territories.

UK–Montserrat Compact Discussions Pending, Public Input Promised Read More »

Premier & Agriculture Minister Visit Farmers In Water Works

Premier, the Honourable Reuben T Meade and Minister of Agriculture, Honourable John P. Osborne, conducted a field visit to three farms on the Waterworks Estate. The farms are part of the Ministry of Agriculture’s Arable Land for Farmers Programme. The visit formed part of the Government’s continued effort to support and encourage local food production, while assessing the progress made by farmers who have registered under the initiative. During the tour, the ministers met with Mr. and Mrs. McPherson, Ms. Reid, and Mr. and Mrs. Turner, who are planting a variety of crops under the programme. The farmers shared updates on land preparation, cultivation, and the challenges and opportunities presented by the programme. Both ministers expressed their appreciation for the dedication shown by the farmers and reaffirmed Government’s commitment to strengthening agricultural development across Montserrat. Minister Osborne noted that the initiative is a critical step toward revitalising the island’s agricultural output and improving food security. Premier Meade echoed this sentiment, emphasizing the importance of ensuring farmers have the resources and land access needed to support sustainable livelihoods. The Arable Land for Farmers Programme provides approved persons with access to unused arable land and technical guidance from the Ministry of Agriculture, enabling them to expand local production and contribute to a more resilient agricultural sector. Local farmers are encouraged to register for the programme at the Ministry of Agriculture.

Premier & Agriculture Minister Visit Farmers In Water Works Read More »

Drone Training Enhances Montserrat’s Emergency and Surveillance Capacity

Two members of the Royal Montserrat Defence Force- RMDF recently completed a week-long drone operations and certification programme aimed at strengthening the island’s capacity in emergency response, surveillance, and modern aerial technologies. From November 17 to 21, Lieutenant Darion Darroux and Lance Corporal Darius Lewis, joined other personnel from several frontline agencies in Montserrat to participate in a rigorous curriculum covering airframes, aviation law, safety regulations, meteorology, basic and advanced drone operations, airspace management, payload use, and best practices from the UK, EU, and US. The programme was funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), facilitated by expert trainers from the United Kingdom, and coordinated locally by the RMPS. The programme also saw participation from the Royal Montserrat Police Service (RMPS), the Montserrat Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS), the Disaster Management Coordination Agency (DMCA), and the Montserrat Customs and Revenue Service (MCRS). The training combined classroom instruction with practical exercises, including live drone flights conducted alongside active manned aviation- a key real-world scenario that requires careful coordination to ensure both safety and mission success. Trainees also carried out limited Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) flights over land and sea, an increasingly important capability as local agencies look to modernise operations. The week concluded on November 21 with a joint exercise involving Search and Rescue trainees, where drone operators supported a simulated missing-person mission and demonstrated the skills gained during the course. All participants received certificates recognizing their successful completion of the programme. Officials say the training has significantly enhanced Montserrat’s readiness to use unmanned aircraft systems in critical areas such as emergency response, public safety, tourism support, and disaster management.

Drone Training Enhances Montserrat’s Emergency and Surveillance Capacity Read More »